12 August 2005

The Quest

Following on from the Sensi post, I got thinking about other great games we used to play as kids.

Who remembers playing Heroquest?

That was a great game, all the goblins, orcs, dungeons and the evil Gamemaster controlling all the forces of choas and aligning them against our heroes, The Barbarian, The Wizard, The Elf and the Dwarf.

When I look back on it now, how easy would it be for New Line Cinema to make a Lord of the Rings Style Rip-Off of HeroQuest, you've got the characters all laid out with Aragorn, Gandalf, Legolas and Gimli. Anyway thats another discussion...

So back to the Game, it was class. You had all the furniture to place and set upall the rooms, all the nasty beasties hiding round each conrner waiting to kill you and nick all your money.

And how fun was it being the Gamemaster, getting try and kill your friends, especially with the Uber Baddies like these...


I can still remember the days spent painting all the wee characters in vast arrays of colour with added blood splatterings and slime. The arguments my brother and I would have over what colours to paint a certain monster and who got to do it.

I can still remember it like yesterday.

I think I might have to get onto eBay and indulge in some nostalgia by purchasing a set if I can find any, and getting my mates round for a HeroQuest Fest. That would be quality.

Was having a look around on t'internet t'day and found a fun PC version that bring back a little of the magic but its just not the same as having all the pieces out and setting up the board. If u want to try it out then look here or here.

On a side note, anyone remember Space Crusade. A similar style game but set in space (obviously!), had loadsa fun painting and playing that game also.

Damn I wish I was a kid again!!

No comments: